Manual:The Dude v6/Installation
The Dude is free software, no purchase is necessary. You can download The Dude from the MikroTik web page, in the download section. Under the required instruction set you will see Server package NPK file for RouterOS, and a bit lower in general section Client installation executable for The Dude client side.
System requirements for client
The Dude client should run on pretty much all of Windows versions starting with Windows XP. Client program does not require much resources so low spec windows computers for monitoring needs will do just fine.
System requirements for server package
- v6.34rc13 or newer
- Tile - CCR series hardware
- ARM - RB3011, RB1100AHx4 Dude Edition (RB1100Dx4)
- mmips - hEX (RB750Gr3)
- RouterOS x86 installations
- RouterOS CHR environment
- Download The dude Client application and Server package in MikroTik software download page
- Upload dude .npk package to RouterOS host on which you will use it and reboot it to finish installation.
- To enable or disable server use command:
/dude set enabled=(yes/no)
- After that just check, If dude server is up and running with command: "/dude print"
[admin@MikroTik] > /dude print enabled: yes data-directory: dude status: running
- by default all The Dude data is stored on system disk, if you wish to change it's location the use this command:
/dude set data-directory=(new_db_path)
For more info on how to work with attached storage please check this wiki article: Disks
- Now you are up and running. Just connect with The Dude client and start working.
Windows Client is at the moment considered main Viewing/Management interface for the Dude server.
- Install Client software by following steps through the software installation wizard.
- Client shortcuts are now added to Start menu applications list on your workstation.
- Now just open the client and connect to The Dude server host. Use your host device admin credentials to access server.
Starting with v6.38rc software build The Dude server is viewable and configurable also through RouterOS Web interface (Webfig). Just enter your server host device IP address in browser and log into Webfig interface. Then on the left side menu you can get into Dude configuration section.
Link to Webfig manual page
Starting with v6.38rc software build The Dude server is configurable also through Winbox configuration tool. To successfully access host on which The Dude server is running you will need winbox that is at least v3.7 or newer build. Latest build can always find on our main download page. Winbox download Link is located on the lower side of page.
Link to Winbox manual page
After you log into The Dude server host you will be able to find Dude configuration menu on right side menu selection panel.