Manual:The Dude v6/The Dude server on hEX RB750Gr3
New hEX (RB750Gr3) unit is ideal for small to medium size The Dude server installations. For server database storage on this device you have two options: MicroSD cards or USB flashes.
Note that preferably you should use industrial grade mircoSD cards and USB flashes as they have longer life cycle under applications that can write data to flash more frequently as The Dude server database in this case. Note that you still use standard usb flashes and microSD card they just won't last as long as Industrial grade counterpart would in long term use.
Preparation, Setup, First Use
1. Storage preparation.
- Insert microSD card (device should be powered off when inserting microSD card) or USB flash into device.
- Power devices back on.
- Check if RouterOS sees the attached storage medium:
If printout returns something similar to this, then system sees the disk.
[krisjanis@uDude.lan] > disk pr # NAME LABEL TYPE DISK FREE SIZE 0 disk1 fat32 SD 7.2GiB 7.3GiB
- If added disk by default is formatted with fat32 file-system then we recommend to re-format it to ext3 file-system.
First you will need to eject it:
"disk eject-drive (disk_number)"
After that you can proceed with re-formatting it:
"/disk format-drive 0 file-system=ext3"
Note that the bigger attached disk is the longer it will take to format it. After process is finished system will automatically remount this disk.
[krisjanis@uDude.lan] > disk format-drive 0 file-system=ext3 formatted: 100%
2. Server package installation.
Now that disk is prepared for use you need to install The Dude server package on this system.
- Server packages for all systems that support The Dude server can be found in main download page: http://www.mikrotik.com/download
You need to download Server and Client for version that you are using on device. Or update device to latest (Current) version and use Client/Server if this version.
- When you have the server package just upload .npk file to device via any of available file transfer methods in RouterOS: Winbox(drag'n'drop), Webfig, FTP or SFPT.
- After files are on device just run: "/system reboot" (y/n to confirm the action) and package will install it self during this reboot cycle.
3. First use.
- Change server data-path to usb flash or mircoSD card:
"/dude set data-directory=disk1/dude-data"
- Enable server:
"/dude set enabled=yes"
- Check if server is running:
[krisjanis@uDude.lan] > dude print enabled: yes data-directory: disk1/dude-data status: running
4. Connect to server.
Now server is up and running and you can connect to it with The Dude client and start adding devices to monitor.
- For logging into server from client you need to use the same Admin account that you use on server host device.
- Now proceed with your network auto-discovery or cancel this process and add devices manually.
1. Documentation on rest of The Dude network monitoring software features: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:The_Dude
2. The Dude forum: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewforum.php?f=8
3. The Dude configuration interfaces are available also in Winbox (v3.7 required), Webfig and CLI (Work in progress) when using RouterOS v6.38rc or newer software build on server host device.