Talk:Dude Linux Installation
The Dude 3.1 not working in wine
When running The Dude 3.1 in wine 1.1.15 the main window freezes.
The relevant log entries are as follows:
WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions. fixme:ntdll:RtlNtStatusToDosErrorNoTeb no mapping for 000000c0 socked failed err=10044 DEBUG: cw: 6 41379b ERROR: createWindow failed error=6 LocalMedium: postpone read LocalMedium: postpone read LocalMedium: postpone read .....Last Three repeating indefinately......
Workaround for linux
It seems that The Dude wants to setup a local server instance by default when the client starts up, which doesn't work on linux.
To instruct the dude client not to automatically setup a local server instance we need to first create a the configuration settings to use:
1) Install a fresh copy of The Dude on a windows computer 2) Run The Dude
3) Click the Local Server button on top and UNCHECK the Enable on Localhost checkbox
4) Exit The Dude.
5) Copy the file C:\Program Files\Dude\data\dude.viw to a location accessible from your linux computer (network share, ftp, etc.)
1) Install The Dude under wine
Important: Uncheck Run The Dude on the Completing the The Dude Setup Wizard screen.
2) Copy the dude.viw file to /home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Dude/data directory.
3) Run The Dude with linux!
If you want The Dude to be a server under linux run:
wine "C:\\Program Files\\Dude\\dude.exe" --server
then run The Dude and connect as either Remote or Secure to 127.0.0.1